A well tailor made business suit is an absolute must for any businessman who is serious about his image and understands the importance of looking professional and polished to influence people and win business.
For this reason it is essential to have a wardrobe of minimum 5 tailor made suits and each one of them with an extra pair trouser as this lengthens the suit’s life span.
Depending on your industry colours and patters may vary. However there are 5 essential worsted wool fabrics which any businessman should always have in his wardrobe. In jargon we call these fabrics “the 5 building blocks of a businessman’s wardrobe” and these are as follow.
1) Plain Navy: can range from Mid Navy to the darkest Midnight Navy. This is the most essential and versatile fabric which can be combined with almost any shirt colour and pattern to achieve different looks.
2) Plain Grey: can range from Mid Grey to the darkest Charcoal Grey. Same as Navy this is an extremely versatile fabric and can be combined with most of shirt fabrics.
3) Navy Stripes: can be of different widths, pin or chalk stripes and range from Mid Navy to the darkest Midnight Navy. Navy stripes fabrics mean 100% business and ideally should be worn with plain colours shirts featuring French cuffs. Depending on body shape, role and industry of a gentleman some Navy Stripes are more adequate than others. Therefore it is extremely important to be understand the language of this fabric or be guided through an experienced tailor as the last thing you want to look like is a 1920’s gangster when you turn up to work.
4) Grey Stripe: can range from Mid Grey to the darkest Charcoal Grey. Grey Stripe fabrics are the tamer alternative to Navy Stripes and make up for a more conservative and vintage business look. In particular they are excellent for a more mature audience (35+) and more specifically in law and finance environments.
5) Checks and Prince of Wales: checks are the most playful patterns and depending on colour and subtleness/boldness they can make up for probably the most personal interpretation of individual style. So careful with all the variants.